Monday, July 13, 2009

Mass today

Well I went to mass this morning because I didn't have to work early, and Im glad I did. As I usually am. The gospel was about Jesus saying that as we follow Him, be prepared to have our mothers/fathers/siblings/etc. as our enemies. I've heard this gospel many times, and until now I really couldn't get a grasp on why Jesus would say something like that. I understand that people who are faithful to the Church and to Christ are misunderstood/marginalized/persecuted..Call it what you want...But family? Come on now. But then the seminarian whose staying at my church for the summer said that if our family gets in the way of us growing closer to God, then they may be our enemies. And I guess as I get older and I expand my mind a bit more Im not viewing things as black or white- that is, when I was younger and heard this gospel I thought that it literally meant that if you said you loved God and wanted to serve him family members would become automatic enemies..Now in many cases this does happen, but how about if we don't come right out and say "I want to be a better Catholic..Or I want to grow closer to Jesus.." But instead, we turn our actions around and stop becoming so focused on gaining wealth, prestige, and begin to see this life as passing away- how might people react? I can testify to the fact that some family members might be a bit weirded out and distance themselves...And I guess the point is if that becomes a deterrant to our faith then its by that our family members are our enemies. And I know in Jesus' time the word "brother" or "sister" could mean any close relative or friend..So I wonder if the same holds true for the word "family?" Perhaps that includes close friends/mentors/etc..I dont know. But, thats my 2 cents on today =)

No comments:

Post a Comment